Last night during Sarah Huckabee Sander’s Republican Rebuttal to Biden’s State of the Union she mentioned the education plan she was purposing in the state. While she has just taken office and is the youngest Governor in the country, she is starting off with a bang. This purposed plan would massively overhaul the state’s education system, eliminating topics and raising teacher salaries.
During the State of the Union, Sanders said the plan would be one of the most far reaching of its time. She stated it would raise salaries and empower kids. Providing children with an education, regardless of their race or income, is important today. Though not only will this change Arkansas but she feels it will put children across the country on the path to success.
So what’s in it?
- If the bill is passed it would increase the base salary for teachers from $36,000 to $50,000 – taking Arkansas to 4th place in ranking of the highest base-salary for teachers in the nation.
- It would also include a 12 week paid maternity leave and merit-based bonuses of up to $10,000.
- The bill would eliminate any CRT, critical race theory, or “indoctrination” in curriculum.
- Due to the reading levels students in Arkansas are currently at, the bill would allocate funds for 120 new literacy coaches that would be deployed across the state.
- And $500 of supplemental education services would be granted to each student per year for those between Kindergarten to third grand who are struggling to read at their grade level standards.
- Another part of the reading standards, would require students to be able to read at a third grade level before moving to fourth grade.
- Students would also be required to complete 75 hours of community service in order to graduate high school.
This plan is expected to be unveiled Wednesday, though it will needed to be voted on and passed before it is enacted.