The Covington High School student who was dragged through the mud by the media is now firing back, naming many leftist journalists and their organizations. The Daily Caller reports:
The legal team behind Covington Catholic High School student Nick Sandmann are sending letters to various media organizations, celebrities and politicians it says completely misrepresented the confrontation between the teenager and Native American activists last month and potentially defamed their client.
In a story first reported Friday by The Cincinnati Enquirer and confirmed Sunday to The Daily Caller by lawyer Todd McMurtry, the letters have been or will be sent “over the next couple of days” to media organizations like CNN, The New York Times and The Washington Post. Celebrities and politicians like Jim Carrey, Alyssa Milano, Bill Maher and Democratic Sen. Elizabeth Warren are also on the list.
It is the first step in a potential and far-reaching libel and defamation suit that McMurtry, of the Hemmer DeFrank Wessels law firm in Ft. Mitchell, Kentucky, says would be “a significant and unique lawsuit.”
Most of mainstream media and others vilified Sandmann, other students and Covington Catholic High School in general when the youths were shown on camera wearing MAGA hats in Washington, D.C., where they had participated in the Jan. 18 March for Life rally. The students were caught on cameras engaging in spirited dialogue with Native American Nathan Phillips, who falsely claimed to be a Vietnam veteran. At least partially due to Phillips, the confrontation was widely interpreted as intolerant youths abusing a Native elder, before greater context was provided.
Spreading malicious fake news about innocent private citizens should have consequences, and this could be a decisive moment in American jurisprudence.