Broward County schools, after over two months of claiming the opposite, admitted on Sunday that confessed Parkland shooter Nikolas Cruz had been referred to the controversial PROMISE Program.
The PROMISE Program, an alternative discipline program designed to limit on-campus arrests, has been widely reported as ineffective and corrupt. It has come under intense scrutiny in the weeks since the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, but until Sunday, school officials were still denying that Cruz ever had any connection to that program.
Superintendent Robert Runcie said during an interview last month that he believed in the PROMISE Program, and didn’t want a false narrative to detract from its success. “Let me reiterate this point. Nikolas Cruz, the shooter that was involved in this horrific accident at Marjory Stoneman Douglas, had no connection to the PROMISE program.”
Senator Marco Rubio said that he had been repeatedly assured that there was no link between Cruz and the PROMISE Program as well.
Read more at the Daily Caller.